Wednesday, February 2, 2011

New Brief

Consider a tabletop covered with art supplies and crafting materials: pipe cleaners, puff balls, glitter glue, crayons, markers, paint, pencils, paper, fabric, string and yarn, and surrounding the table are several separately placed blank sheets of colored paper in front of several separately placed eager and creatively charged children. Imagine the expanse of artistic outcomes and visionary masterpieces still dripping wet with paint and glitter glue that would be produced by this epic exertion. In my practice as a graphic designer, this unreserved attitude and impulsive desire to express visually is much more oppressed and regimented. Drawing inspiration from children’s craft materials and the uninhibited decisions in their artistic creativity, I will demonstrate how combining these rudimentary techniques with a sophisticatedly designed framework will allow me to advance my own development in video design and graphic animation while retaining my early creative processes in childhood crafts.

In more technical terms, the focus of my senior piece will be a 3-5 minute video montage that will deal primarily with textural imagery and experimental typography. Using some stop animation and live footage, the film’s content will relay the act of creative process and inventiveness in dealing with everyday materials. I will explore materials and textures and how they translate to video. Most shots will be established by a fixed focus length and thoroughly lit subject matter. To explore my uninhibited creative freedom by using inexpensive collected materials, I hope to create a visual collage that combines my child’s sense of freedom and fearlessness with my adult sophistication and maturity in design.

No comments:

Post a Comment