Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Artist Statement—First Draft

The term arts and crafts denotes a style of artistic expression in a context unconnected to the meaning of Art or Craft alone. In my own experiences, arts and crafts activity time at the pre-school and elementary school level has advanced my innovative and imaginative development that has ensued into my adult life. Simplistic and malleable materials like pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks, and macaroni allow children to expand their modes of thinking through interaction and art-making. For me, arts and crafts time is reminiscent of my childhood when I was free to explore my creative expression with no restraints or concern for the judgement from others. The more I grew, the more I was able to refine my technique and skill as a fine artist and applied designer in a controlled manner. Approaching the culmination of my college education, I have gained sophisticated abilities and applicable knowledge, although I fear I am slowly losing the freedom and playfulness in art that I possessed as a child.


The function of my piece is to integrate the playfulness and imagination of my childhood experiences in arts and crafts with my new maturity and sophistication in the application of design and video arts. Too often, mature audiences are lured in by formal methods and techniques to communicate contemporary or political subject matter, but my piece will resurge an appreciation for the uninhibited attitudes and processes of art making that have diminished with my childhood.

-

No comments:

Post a Comment