Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Artist Manifesto — Draft 1.5

I am defined

As the supposed sum of my experiences

A rolling snowball

Inching along or roaring downhill

The accretion and momentum of ostensible wisdom

Thickening the outside layers

Thus obscuring access to the small nucleus

Where it all began.


The ideological spright vitality of youth is fleeting

Replaced by a superficial adaptation of what it means to be mature

Where obligations, responsibilities, and burdens

Supplant the natural innocence, freedom, and autonomy

That once ordained every action, every thought

Free from the concern of external judgement

And potential failure.


Endless alternate dimensions except that of time

For hours in and out

Of imaginatively constructed realms

Absorbed in mystically impossible possibilities

If only now I could truly escape

To pretend

I’m not afraid of growing up

I know what to do with the rest of my life

I love responsibility.


But haven’t we been prepping for this all of our lives?

The bedroom in my dollhouse looks awfully similar

To your bedroom and my bedroom

And money has just as little value now

As the green pieces of paper I used to draw my face on

Can someone please inform me

Who are the puppets and who are the puppeteers?

Why take it from me when Bill Shakespeare says it better

Life is but a stage and I have been casted for all the roles

And as insurgency has always been my forte

It is only customary that my dramatization

Features characters of complete contradiction

Consistently inconsistent

Demolishing any boundaries of conformity

That might limit the inner turmoils

Bubbling and spilling out my sides

Somehow strangely keeping me at equilibrium.


Because the truth is

Watching cartoons on Saturday mornings

Climbing trees and picking scabs

Double-dipping and licking the spoon

Makes it seem

That my world isn’t changing

That I’m not changing

Even though it feels like my ball of snow is headed towards a gaping cliff

I know the little snowball inside came from my own imagination.


No comments:

Post a Comment